CHICHI-MIO

TDS Explained !

View previous topic View next topic Go down

TDS Explained !

Post by Admin on Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:06 am

TDS Explained ....

TDS (total dissolved solids) are equal to the sum total of `CHARGED IONS`in an aqueous solution, and includes only molecules small enough to pass through a 2 micron sieve.

Positively charged ions are called < cations > and negatively charged ions < anions >.

Some cations combined with carbonate are for example Calcium Carbonate CaCO3 and Magnesium Carbonate MgCO3.

Cations combined with Chloride as in Sodium Chloride (salt) NaCl, or Potassium Chloride KCl.

The EP standard TDS for `drinking water` is set at 500mg/l and that high a solids concentration could adversely affect water palatability .

Examples of how conductive an ionized molecule is here >

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:l1IGHBeW82YJ:inside.mines.edu/~epoeter/_GW/18WaterChem2/WaterChem2pdf.pdf+total+dissolved+solids+2+micron+sieve&hl=en&gl=uk&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESj9gBgba60anwNm11ujQrsIoBACYleLMkYUlv7vvBQd5qxhuYjznNOCucYSH7m1v-waOYN-LC_zgZdc4bJisoLJx6woTD4KlgtdndK_hz3yGuH7A0un1rInLbzqavBVJiu0s4Ok&sig=AHIEtbT6DSaiVdbfJQAKubRmYGi6zlUzQA&pli=1

Admin

http://mio-chichi.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: TDS Explained !

Post by DaveB on Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:35 pm

Hi Mio

I did understand that even inorganic carbon (Docs) can be measured by TDS meters, however once again I am now not sure, and if so is there any such need for ORP meters as they only seem to be effected by p.H. having used both types of meters I tend to rely more on TDS than ORP for water quality. Same old argumentI am afraid.

Best Regards Dave
DaveB

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:05 pm

DaveB wrote:Hi Mio

I did understand that even inorganic carbon (Docs) can be measured by TDS meters, however once again I am now not sure, and if so is there any such need for ORP meters as they only seem to be effected by p.H. having used both types of meters I tend to rely more on TDS than ORP for water quality. Same old argumentI am afraid.Best Regards Dave

Total dissolved solids (TDS) comprises all inorganic and organic substances contained in water that can pass through a 2 micron filter..
Ions and ionic compounds making up the TDS include carbonate, bicarbonate, chloride, fluoride, sulfate, phosphate, nitrate, calcium, magnesium, sodium, and potassium, but any ion that is present will contribute to the total.

The organic ions include pollutants/ herbicides/and hydrocarbons.

Soil organic matter compounds such as humic/fulvic acids are also included in the TDS value...

If the Ion is `CHARGED` and 2 microns or less it`s conductivity can be measured Dave.

ORP is still a vital Parameter IMO despite the PH influence.

During my recent `Demand Feeding`experiment my ORP lost 100 mv for a corresponding PH of 7.5 due to pollution from the subsequent Nitrite/Nitrate/DOC Spike..... and why it is used to evaluate the cleanliness (lack-of-pollution) in Water.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:26 pm

Mio

Thanks for the very detaied information.This would in someway go to explain why every time it rains the polutants from my overhanging silver birch tree fall into the pond quickly reduces the ORP by 50mv.( even though the p.H drops slightly due to acid rain) This is made worse when it has not rained for a long time and then you get a good downpour. Interesting to see how this usually returns to normal after 24 hours or so to ie 350mv

Do you still use the formular for ORP/p.H to derermine cleanleness of water?

Regards Dave
DaveB

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:44 pm

DaveB wrote:Mio

Thanks for the very detaied information.This would in someway go to explain why every time it rains the polutants from my overhanging silver birch tree fall into the pond quickly reduces the ORP by 50mv.( even though the p.H drops slightly due to acid rain) This is made worse when it has not rained for a long time and then you get a good downpour. Interesting to see how this usually returns to normal after 24 hours or so to ie 350mv

Do you still use the formula or ORP/p.H to determine cleanleness of water?

Regards Dave

The RH2 formulae is very useful Dave and proves that during a PH crash PP type oxidation of water can occur .. unless serious pollution is in vogue.

I demonstrated such during my `Formalin` Dips.. Formaldehyde being a reducing agent which once again sliced 100mv off the ORP value whilst only slightly lowering PH.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Charged Ions !

Post by Admin on Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:09 am

Ions are Atoms/Molecules whereby the Electrons present are not equal to the number of Protons allowing the Ion a `positive` or `Negative`charge.

The Name given to them by Micheal Faraday (physicist)comes from the `Greek` IOV which translates `going`because these substances permit a current between electrodes when an electric field is applied.

WIKI Arrow

An anion (-) (pronounced /ˈæn.aɪ.ən/ an-eye-ən), from the Greek word ἄνω (ánō), meaning "up", is an ion with more electrons than protons, giving it a net negative charge (since electrons are negatively charged and protons are positively charged).
Conversely, a cation (+) (pronounced /ˈkæt.aɪ.ən/ kat-eye-ən), from the Greek word κατά (katá), meaning "down", is an ion with fewer electrons than protons, giving it a positive charge. Since the charge on a proton is equal in magnitude to the charge on an electron, the net charge on an ion is equal to the number of protons in the ion minus the number of electrons.

If that hasn`t sent you to Sleep here`s more Arrow

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HAN on Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:58 am

No, not boring at all Chi.

The more we learn, the more we find out is one of my motto`s. Wink
HAN

Back to top Go down