CHICHI-MIO

Solar Energy

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Solar Energy

Post by Admin on Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:47 am

DaveB wrote:Hi Mio

Currently Above estimation for september, producing similar output to august. Just got my electricity bill for first completed month and shaved £50 off . So togetherwith FITS . Its now looking good. Best Regards Dave

WOW ... Shocked

Thank`s for the update Dave Very Happy sounds like it`s exceeded your expectations ... a worthy investment indeed .. and GREEN to boot.

Admin

http://mio-chichi.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:23 pm

How has the recent `heatwave`affected the Solar Panel output Dave ?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:41 pm

The PVGIS estimation for sept is 7kwhrs per day, the last 3 days of september were 12kwhrs per day. The estimation for October is only 5 kwhrs, unfortunately one day was only 1kwhr,( the worst day so far) but improved yesterday and was over 7kwhrs. The sun is getting quite low in the sky here in the NE of england. Most of the power now is produced after 2pmand the maxiumum produced is about 2.5kw for a couple of hours then in drops off and shuts down at 6pm.

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:59 pm

Hi Guys

Just thought you would like an update. I have just been on the website to scotish power to update my meter readings and due to reduced electrical consumption and giving the koi a winter at the beginning of the year. I am now £450 int the black. There is a nice check for £300 in the post and they have reduced my payments from £170 per month to £150 ( used to be £200 per month until changing pumps to Oase ecomax). Together with the a Fit payment at the end of the month of a minimum of £300.

£600 will do very nicely. I should be able to get a nice koi for that next year

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:27 pm

DaveB wrote:Hi Guys

Just thought you would like an update. I have just been on the website to scotish power to update my meter readings and due to reduced electrical consumption and giving the koi a winter at the beginning of the year. I am now £450 int the black. There is a nice check for £300 in the post and they have reduced my payments from £170 per month to £150 ( used to be £200 per month until changing pumps to Oase ecomax). Together with the a Fit payment at the end of the month of a minimum of £300.

£600 will do very nicely. I should be able to get a nice koi for that next year

Shocked Awesome Dave ... Very Happy

Wish I had a bigger `roofspace` Twisted Evil
('Smile

Book yourself a nice day out to Bristol come Spring and take a trip down to Mikes ...

Some nice Koi Babes there and they have all been heat cycled and blood sampled re KHV ....

http://www.yumekoi.com/koi

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:19 am

Mio

I have a freind here in the Northeast who has bought one or two koi from Mike. and always look very impressive.\\\\\\\so I might have a trip down there if I can get one or two people to come with me and split the petrol costs.

Back to top Go down

Post by alank on Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:31 am

Dave, can I ask what company you used. I have gone for 4 quotes but I have only received one in writing. A definite order for someone if they would just be bothered to quote.

alank

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:48 am

Hi Alank

After several quotes I went with a local firm which was the cheapest of the lot. George V Cummings. Here is there phone number 0191 4187781. Good luck

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:49 am

Dave is your `Roof` Chimney Free` ?

Ecovisionenergy are evaluating whether mine `qualifies` atm ?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:43 pm

No Chimneys on my roof.I have the room to double the amount of panels what I have but I was only allowed to go up 3.68kw ( 15 panels)
I am still above the PVGIS quote for Oct.The day before yesterday, the panels produced 11 kwh ( PVGIS est= 4.5kwh dailY)even though the sun is now quite low in the sky and the panels are now shadowed by a couple of trees about an hour before the sun has gone down. Something which I did reckon for. A couple of days have been as low as 1 kwh, the lowest so far.

Back to top Go down

Post by alank on Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:25 pm

Thanks for the telephone number Dave but they only work in your area. I have priced up buying the panels myself and it all comes out at £8k +900 for electrician and paper work ,+400 for blue tooth monotoring.

Had a visit from a second local firm yesterday, expecting the quote soon.

I have a window on my roof, it stands up 1 m from the flat roof and casts a huge shadow. Apparently, any shadow can shut the system down. I may have to go for small inverters on each panel to prevent this happening.

alank

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:41 pm

Alank
I understand that it might be slightly more expensiive for individual inverters, but will be the way to go in your situation. As any one panel in shadow will pull the the rest down to that of the panel in shadow.
The prices you quoted is excellent for a 4kw system. Does this include the roofer/securing the panels and any other upgrade to exsisting wireing if need. To ensure it rceieves the MCA credit to get the FIT payment. Just a few thoughts

Back to top Go down

Post by alank on Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:22 am

The price is supply only, I would make an adjustable frame to mount it on. I have a flat roof so easy job really. I have a table that tells what angle the panels should be at for each month of the year. It ranges fro 14 degrees in winter to 30 deg in summer. The £900 covers all the MCA official paperwork for FIT payments, electricians services and cables.

The panels quoted are Sun *** I cannot remember the full name but I hope to get the quote in writing today.

I may remove the window that causes the shadow and fit 3 velux type windows instead, these would be flat. my post code is SK6 7QJ if you want to google it. It shows the roof and window quite well.

alank

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:02 am

I`m contemplating releasing `Equity` in a bid to F.I.T these (pun intended) Laughing No seriously though?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:28 am

Mio personally I would go for the equity release as in away that is excactly what I did as I have a small morgage on another property which I rent out. I had the opertunaty to pay that morgage off, but went for the panels instead

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:33 am

alank wrote:The price is supply only, I would make an adjustable frame to mount it on. I have a flat roof so easy job really. I have a table that tells what angle the panels should be at for each month of the year. It ranges fro 14 degrees in winter to 30 deg in summer. The £900 covers all the MCA official paperwork for FIT payments, electricians services and cables.

The panels quoted are Sun *** I cannot remember the full name but I hope to get the quote in writing today.

I may remove the window that causes the shadow and fit 3 velux type windows instead, these would be flat. my post code is SK6 7QJ if you want to google it. It shows the roof and window quite well.
Absolutely brilliant, provided it is all secure. I understand that It is sufficient to wieigh these frames down with sandbags on a flat roof rather than attaching to joists by bolting. It would be interesting to see what your return on your investment would be using the PVGIS web site, once you know what your total costs would be. Looking at the angles , my roof is at 30 degs from horizontal and I thought it would be greater in the winter therefore being at 90 degs to the sun which is lower in the sky.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:56 am

DaveB wrote:Mio personally I would go for the equity release as in away that is excactly what I did as I have a small morgage on another property which I rent out. I had the opertunaty to pay that morgage off, but went for the panels instead

I still have just less than 1/4 of the House Value on the Mortgage outstanding Dave and was looking to rid myself of that when I thought why not have the Chimney removed and F.I.T Laughing ( I`m in that kinda mood today with the New Moon about to enter my sign ) Rolling Eyes Solar Panels also by releasing a little more ?

What company did you choose to release the Equity with Sweetie ?

Aviva have approached me recently Idea

You deserve a new `Title` Dave Mod/Financial Adviser Wink

TBH .. I was loathe to lose the `Open` Fire Chimney option ... and felt it added value to the House rightly or wrongly ?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alank on Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:39 am

I have just installed a twin wall chimney as my house doesn't have a chimney. I have literally two hours ago finished it and lit a fire. Its an 8 to 10 kw wood burner, actually its multi-fuel but I intend to burn logs.

The fire is downstairs and we live upstairs at the moment as I am converting downstairs to living room, kitchen and conservatory. Once the fire was up to temp, I threw some more bits of wood on, turned it down to minimum then took the dogs for a walk.

On our return, the whole house was a good 10 degrees warmer than when we left. Its about 7 degrees outside. Happy days, free
heat.

Dave, no sand bags, I am making the frame from galv steel. It will be bolted down with a cantilever frame to alter the angle and it will not move. We live a few hundred feet above the Cheshire plain, I can see the welsh mountains from my roof so its a bit exposed wind wise. Wind power is another option when the prices come down a bit. Trouble is, a 10 kw system is a huge turbine.

alank

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:23 am

In My case .. The Chimney is all that is preventing the `Roof` qualifying size-wize for Solar Panels given they must all be fitted below it re `health&safety` British Gas told me Exclamation

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:14 pm

alank wrote:I have just installed a twin wall chimney as my house doesn't have a chimney. I have literally two hours ago finished it and lit a fire. Its an 8 to 10 kw wood burner, actually its multi-fuel but I intend to burn logs.
The fire is downstairs and we live upstairs at the moment as I am converting downstairs to living room, kitchen and conservatory. Once the fire was up to temp, I threw some more bits of wood on, turned it down to minimum then took the dogs for a walk.

On our return, the whole house was a good 10 degrees warmer than when we left. Its about 7 degrees outside. Happy days, free
heat.

Dave, no sand bags, I am making the frame from galv steel. It will be bolted down with a cantilever frame to alter the angle and it will not move. We live a few hundred feet above the Cheshire plain, I can see the welsh mountains from my roof so its a bit exposed wind wise. Wind power is another option when the prices come down a bit. Trouble is, a 10 kw system is a huge turbine.
I have also looked at wind turbines but decided against ( like you say too expensive)
I am also looking to installing a wood burning fire , not sure wether to get one with a C/H boiler. It was my intention to buy fuel/logs and store them in the garage and just use it for cosy nights in the winter. However It was just an idea at the mo. I would really like to know how you get on.

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:30 pm

Admin wrote:
DaveB wrote:Mio personally I would go for the equity release as in away that is excactly what I did as I have a small morgage on another property which I rent out. I had the opertunaty to pay that morgage off, but went for the panels instead

I still have just less than 1/4 of the House Value on the Mortgage outstanding Dave and was looking to rid myself of that when I thought why not have the Chimney removed and F.I.T Laughing ( I`m in that kinda mood today with the New Moon about to enter my sign ) Rolling Eyes Solar Panels also by releasing a little more ?

What company did you choose to release the Equity with Sweetie ?
Aviva have approached me recently Idea

You deserve a new `Title` Dave Mod/Financial Adviser Wink

TBH .. I was loathe to lose the `Open` Fire Chimney option ... and felt it added value to the House rightly or wrongly ?
Mio I am no financial advisor, just take a healthy interest
depending upon what morgage rate you have at the mo it mught be easier to just ask them for an extra 10 grand , however the one you have at the mo you will probably have to pay this off by the time you are 65.
Alternatively have a look at this website and see if it is possible to get a cheaper one http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mortgages/best-mortgages-cashback
in which case you could get one for the 10 grand + your origonal morgage and pay off in say 10 years.make sure that the FIT paymnet is sufficient to pay off the morgage in 10 years and then it is all yours. better than the free panel offer I think. However if interest rates rise a lot it may not work out.
can you install panels with inverters, if the chinmey is a problem

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:43 pm

Thank`s Dave Very Happy

There are myriad options Cool

Twould appear I am not old enough to qualify for `Equity` Release Rolling Eyes so will have to investigate one of the other schemes.

The Chimney apparently is taking up too much roofspace for sufficient panels to be F.I.T ed Laughing underneath it ... they won`t place them alongside ... so say British Gas. Twisted Evil

Ecovision just called and state otherwise confused and have arranged a survey for Nov 10th Very Happy

They told me one `inverter` runs ALL the Solar Panels from the loft ?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:21 pm

Admin wrote:Thank`s Dave Very Happy

There are myriad options Cool

Twould appear I am not old enough to qualify for `Equity` Release Rolling Eyes so will have to investigate one of the other schemes.

The Chimney apparently is taking up too much roofspace for sufficient panels to be F.I.T ed Laughing underneath it ... they won`t place them alongside ... so say British Gas. Twisted Evil

Ecovision just called and state otherwise confused and have arranged a survey for Nov 10th Very Happy
They told me one `inverter` runs ALL the Solar Panels from the loft ?

Mio I am sure you will get a lots of different view, But there will be lots of people willing to do it, now that you are paying. It was the same when I started looking most of the firms on the free panel or rent a roof will not consider it unless it is an unobstructed south or near to south facing. So in my situation ( almost west facing I don,t think I would qualify for the free panel service.
Equity release can be in other forms including morgages. If you are 55 or under a £10000 repayment morgage cost you less than £80 per month based on 3% and be payed off by the time you are 65, which if you shop around you should be able to get. There are some great rates out there. Your own bank may give you a morgage over the phone based on a property valuation. Be carefull of setup charges are not too high.As an example First Direct do a free setup charges but charge £200 for a property valuation. However the free setup usually means slightly higher interest rates, but still less than 3%. Use the calculation tools on moneysaving expert which makes it easy to compare morgages. Best of luck Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by alank on Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:38 pm

Hi Dave, a wood burner is a superb option. My last house was a 6 bedroom barn conversion. One of the downstairs rooms had a wood burner fitted by me. The room had a gallery above so if you looked up, you could see the old beams that supported the roof and the full pitch of the roof, ie there were no ceilings. It was a huge space, all of the bedrooms came off the gallery landing. The fire was lit and kept burning permanently, there is very little ash to get rid of with wood therefore it can burn 24/7. The chore was bringing the wood in to the house. I carried a large basket of wood once a day, in very cold periods, this could go to 2 baskets but those times were few and far between. At night, the fire was filled with large unsplit logs and the vents were turned down. This produced heat overnight at a lower rate than in the day but it was still alight in the morning. Chuck a few logs in and open the vent and all was up and running again.

My fire was still going this morning after shutting the vents last night at 22:00. I am only burning old joist which are soft wood so not the best. Sycamore give the best flame and heat in my opinion, oak takes an age to dry but smell fabulous when wet an piled on the hearth. Ash is very good, even wet. Avoid birch, it has a lot of oil in it and makes everything black.

alank

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:55 pm

I will delve much more deeply into all the Options Dave once I know the `Roofspace` qualifies .. Very Happy

It`s 8 meters long and south facing ... completely unobstructed with the exception of the single Chimney which I would prefer to keep for the open fire ... which I consider an `asset` to any property IMO Very Happy

Thank you for your invaluable assistance here Sweetie Very Happy

Ecovision here > http://www.ashadegreener.co.uk/?gclid=CISbvLbHiKwCFYULfAodm0PoAQ

I am not obliged to contract to them .. but welcome the `Free` Survey ....and

HOPE the roofspace qualifies ...

Let me know what you think of their system Dave from the video clip in the link .. if you have time to look at it Very Happy

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum