CHICHI-MIO

Solar Energy

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Solar Energy

Post by alank on Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:22 am

It was a close call but we had the confirmation two days ago. They could have spaced them out more to prevent the shading but they have done it to the book instead of using a bit of common sense.

alank

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:26 am

alank wrote:It was a close call but we had the confirmation two days ago. They could have spaced them out more to prevent the shading but they have done it to the book instead of using a bit of common sense.

Common Sense has been in short supply this Mercury RX Cycle Alan Laughing

Do keep us up to speed on their performance /savings etc .... Very Happy

Admin

http://mio-chichi.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:40 am

alank wrote:It was a close call but we had the confirmation two days ago. They could have spaced them out more to prevent the shading but they have done it to the book instead of using a bit of common sense.
Nice one Alan. Great photos and a nice output for 5 hours at this time of year. Look forward to your updates.

Back to top Go down

Post by alank on Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:02 pm

Still trying to get my head around the figures so bear with me. I have an owl monitor on the supply electricity. At this time of year we use 1.4 kwh or thereabouts. This is pond pumps, no heating, tv, fridge freezers etc.Today is the first sunny day since I installed the Sunny Beam monitor for the PV panels. At midday today, they are generating 1.11 kw, the Owl monitor is showing we are using 0.51kw from the mains so we are definately saving something. Since installing the Sunny Beam monitor, the system has produced a whacking 11.22kWh and shows revenue of 4.83. For two of those day, nothing was produced as it was raining and dull outside. Saturday produced 2.7kWh which is not too bad for the dark depths of winter.

I cant wait for summer, I will heat the pond to use the electricity generated.

alank

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:18 pm

alank wrote:Still trying to get my head around the figures so bear with me. I have an owl monitor on the supply electricity. At this time of year we use 1.4 kwh or thereabouts. This is pond pumps, no heating, tv, fridge freezers etc.Today is the first sunny day since I installed the Sunny Beam monitor for the PV panels. At midday today, they are generating 1.11 kw, the Owl monitor is showing we are using 0.51kw from the mains so we are definately saving something. Since installing the Sunny Beam monitor, the system has produced a whacking 11.22kWh and shows revenue of 4.83. For two of those day, nothing was produced as it was raining and dull outside. Saturday produced 2.7kWh which is not too bad for the dark depths of winnt wait for summer, I will heat the pond to use the electricity generated.
Alan will you be using a heat pump to heat the pond with the free electricity. By the way great output for this time of year. Somdays |I am producing 4kwhrs and other days less than 1 kwhr. So you look to be doing well. Once your panle produce more than 1.4 kw you will be getting your electricity for nowt. Also once they produce 2.7 kw then you could run a heatpump for nothing too ( assuming heat pump uses 1.3kw )keep us posted

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:24 pm

Good news is Alan today is the `shortest` day of the year being `Yuletide` ie the Winter Solstice so the last of the `waning` Sun 2

Things can only get better once the Sun 2 begins waxing again Very Happy

Hope for all our sakes we see plenty of it Very Happy

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alank on Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:53 pm

I will be using the heat pump Dave. When it goes on will depend on when the panels start producing more than we currently use.

I caught something on the news yesterday that the reduction in FIT has been successfully challenged so all the panic may have been for nothing.

alank

Back to top Go down

Post by alank on Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:20 am

The system is about to shut down at 111W. It has produced 2.59kWh today. Not too bad for the shortest day of the year. At 12:00 it started to tail off immediately.

alank

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:30 am

alank wrote:The system is about to shut down at 111W. It has produced 2.59kWh today. Not too bad for the shortest day of the year. At 12:00 it started to tail off immediately.

Phantastic Sweetie Very Happy

Cloudy and overcast here ... but the Sun 2 did put in an appearance briefly.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alank on Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:58 am

Admins wrote:

Phantastic News Dave Very Happy

Can`t wait for Alan to update his Solar Panel`s performance since they were installed recently Very Happy

I`m assuming ecovision have not been able to complete installations prior to the deadline and why i have heard nothing since Crying or Very sad

I`m pleased for u Guys though Very Happy

I didn't use Ecovision in the end, I Googled them and found out they also sell Alarms using scare tactics and rip off elderly people with extortionate service contracts. Also, the MD's house has been attacked with grenades and shot at on separate occasions, also their office in Southport has been fire bombed, enough said, I stayed well away.

Still not sure what it has cost as I was quoted £12200 for a 4kW Sanyo system. I have ended up with 3.8 kW Ubbink system, the panels retail at £100 less per panel which should save me a total of £1500. The installer intimated I may get a £500 discount, if that is the case I will feel ripped off but will just have to grin and bear it.

alank

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:26 am

Ee Gads Alan Shocked

I hadn`t realised it was `Ecovision` you were referring to prior to my survey Sweetie Faint

And the `Contract` they issued was extortionate price-wise ...

I could pull out of it at any time paying as much as £20.000 plus for the panels if I chose to do so ...

I`m a tad relieved they didn`t go ahead with the F.I.T ing of them consequently. Laughing

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alank on Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:13 am

OOps! I had forgotten what the original company was called and mistook your reference to ecovision as being my supplier. Sorry it was not ecovision but EEC Solar.

alank

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:29 am

alank wrote:OOps! I had forgotten what the original company was called and mistook your reference to ecovision as being my supplier. Sorry it was not ecovision but EEC Solar.

Phew

I`m Glad to hear that Alan Sweetie because they emailed me recently stating that they were planning on future leasing of FREE Heat Pumps etc which I might be interested in Very Happy

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:51 am

alank wrote:I will be using the heat pump Dave. When it goes on will depend on when the panels start producing more than we currently use.

I caught something on the news yesterday that the reduction in FIT has been successfully challenged so all the panic may have been for nothing.
Alan please forgive me if I have asked this before but what model/size of heat pump are you running and COP if available. It would be very interesting to see what energy your heat pump would be using against Solar Panel energy produced to try and get an idea of how much it is costing you to heat the pond. Would you just run the heatpump thermostatically controlled or on a timer to coinside with Solar panel production. A plug in energy meter or OWl would come in handy

Back to top Go down

Post by alank on Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:17 am

Hi Dave, this is my heat pump, bought in 2010 so may be a slightly different spec.
http://www.heatpumps4pools.com/Duratech-Dura/Duratech-Dura-Plus-10kw-2011-Swimming-Pool-Heat-Pump-Heater

The Dura +10 is for 40m3 ponds, I have almost 30m3 . When I run it, it is not on all the time, this way, it doesn't freeze up in winter.

alank

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:31 pm

alank wrote:Hi Dave, this is my heat pump, bought in 2010 so may be a slightly different spec.
http://www.heatpumps4pools.com/Duratech-Dura/Duratech-Dura-Plus-10kw-2011-Swimming-Pool-Heat-Pump-Heater

The Dura +10 is for 40m3 ponds, I have almost 30m3 . When I run it, it is not on all the time, this way, it doesn't freeze up in winter.

Cheers Alan

Looks like a great piece of KIt. Is it necessary to go the next size up if I were not running it during the winter.?I see from the spec that you will soon be running it if power in put is 1.7 kw.Would I get away with the 7kw unit as besides being cheaper to buy I would be able to run it for longer in the summer for nothing, if it were just using 1.2 kw as apposed to 1.7kw, however output would be less

Back to top Go down

Post by alank on Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:21 pm

Hi Dave, the 10kw is suitable for a 30ton pond, or swimming pool, Mine is 26 tons so I went for 10kw to be on the safe side. The upside is it is on less in winter therefore creating less condensate. Most people have a problem with condensate freezing and fouling the cooling fan,they have to fit trace heating to overcome this. I never had this problem last year even when temps were as low as -12. If you only use it in summer, this will not be an issue.

What size is your pond?

alank

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:44 pm

Alank 5,400 gallons. I also have a gas boiler which at the moment is maintaining the pond at 12 degs C for a maximum cost of £1.68 per day. Because of this I am not sure that I would be running the heat pump in the winter. As I am comparing costs with heat pump to gas boiler and not electric heating.Therefore unless I can get the heat for nothing like in the summer, It may take quite a few years to get the cost of heat pump back.

Back to top Go down

Post by alank on Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:55 pm

A 7 kw should be fine for your pond, if no winter use, you don't need the plus 7, the standard Dura 7 is cheaper still to buy. If it is on all of the time you are generating then its a win win.

Are we better just using the electricity we generate at the time it is generated or is it simply a case of subtracting what we generate off what we use?

I notice my normal meter slows down when we are generating therefore I am not buying that electricity and I also get paid for generating it. Are there any links to advise on ways to get the best out of a PV system? I also have economy 10 so get cheaper electricity overnight but its more expensive in the day time.

alank

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:11 am

Alank. Thanks for the reply most appreciated. It is best if we can use all the electricity generated at the time we make it as it can,t be stored. The electricity company only pay you 3.1 p per kwh for what is assumed to be 50% of what you generate. If you can use more than this then you would otherwise pay 10p per kwh. Therefore using all of the electricity generated by the soalr panels is quite difficult for most people, but for people who have high usage ( Like those with koi ponds) will find it easier. Whilst at this time of year I am making no where near above what is being used contantly ie 1.5kw continously. In the summer I was running things like dish washer, washing machine during periods when the panels were producing 3kw and above usually anytime after midday. Not sure how this works if you are on twin tarrifs. Here is a link which might give you a few ideas how to make the most of waht you produce.
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2955406
I was toying with the idea of running the heat pump on a timer rather than a thermostat, so as to come on for a couple of hours every afternoon when some of it will be free, but some of it won,t. What I will have to pay for will at least have a high COP . Hope this makes sense.

Back to top Go down

Post by alank on Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:12 pm

It was nice and sunny yesterday, at one point, we were using only 270 Watts. Normal usage is between 0.9kW and 1.2kW. A couple of weeks more and we could be exporting.

Today is overcast and we are currently producing 472 W but even that has cut our metered usage by almost half.

alank

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:36 pm

alank wrote:It was nice and sunny yesterday, at one point, we were using only 270 Watts. Normal usage is between 0.9kW and 1.2kW. A couple of weeks more and we could be exporting.

Today is overcast and we are currently producing 472 W but even that has cut our metered usage by almost half.

Amazing at this time of year Alan Very Happy I`m so pleased for you both Very Happy

The sunny just put in an appearance here and is blazing brilliantly atm Cool

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:09 pm

All looks good Alan. We too had a good day producing a max of 1.1kw so stll using only 400w instead of the usual 1.5kw. But only for a couple of hours. It will be interesting to see when we will actually start exporting.Keep us informed Good luck Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:53 am

Hi Guys

Despite the heavy frosts today with a maximum temp of +1 . The panels produced a wopping 4.7 kwhrs the best so far for 2012 and a max of 1.3kw at any one time. Fingers crossed for more of the same please.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:21 am

DaveB wrote:Hi Guys

Despite the heavy frosts today with a maximum temp of +1 . The panels produced a wopping 4.7 kwhrs the best so far for 2012 and a max of 1.3kw at any one time. Fingers crossed for more of the same please.

Awesome Dave Very Happy

Bright and sunny here too until this evening ..

What is the Jan predicted output generally Question

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum