CHICHI-MIO

Solar Energy

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Solar Energy

Post by DaveB on Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:51 pm

Hello All
Any of you guys gone Solar yet. I made a homemade solar panel from a old glass dining table and 50 mtrs of 13mm black plastic hose( the type used in irigation systems)Works a treat for that 24/7 constant trickle in. At a contant rate of 250 uk gallons per day increases the temp from 13 degs to 35 degs. This does not make much difference to overall temp of the pond but every bit helps. Unfortunately this does not work during the night and only in the summer months.
I am now considering going PV solar with the whole house. The current feed in Tarif looks a win win situation here in the UK. With supply companies paying 41.3p for every KWH+ reduced bills+ a further 3p for 50% of what you produce, this last bit is assumed so even though if you used all of it In which case I will( current usage 40kwh per day)you still get 3p for 50% of energy produced.Sound too good to be true. Downside is the initial layout. Does anyone know of anyother potential problems.
My house unfortunately does not have a south facing roof but have been told that a west facing roof stll works 85% . I have also read that some people split 50% of panels each east & west but this installation would be more expensive. The fact that my house does not face south worries me as the layout of £12,000 is a killer. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
It has reecnetly been anounced that the energy supply companies are making further increases and I am now thinking that solar or other types of green energy may now be the only way forward, with this ever increasing costly hobby for me!
Best Regards DaveB
DaveB

Back to top Go down

Re: Solar Energy

Post by Admin on Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:19 pm

DaveB wrote:Hello All
Any of you guys gone Solar yet. I made a homemade solar panel from a old glass dining table and 50 mtrs of 13mm black plastic hose( the type used in irigation systems)Works a treat for that 24/7 constant trickle in. At a contant rate of 250 uk gallons per day increases the temp from 13 degs to 35 degs. This does not make much difference to overall temp of the pond but every bit helps. Unfortunately this does not work during the night and only in the summer months.
I am now considering going PV solar with the whole house. The current feed in Tarif looks a win win situation here in the UK. With supply companies paying 41.3p for every KWH+ reduced bills+ a further 3p for 50% of what you produce, this last bit is assumed so even though if you used all of it In which case I will( current usage 40kwh per day)you still get 3p for 50% of energy produced.Sound too good to be true. Downside is the initial layout. Does anyone know of anyother potential problems.
My house unfortunately does not have a south facing roof but have been told that a west facing roof stll works 85% . I have also read that some people split 50% of panels each east & west but this installation would be more expensive. The fact that my house does not face south worries me as the layout of £12,000 is a killer. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
It has reecnetly been anounced that the energy supply companies are making further increases and I am now thinking that solar or other types of green energy may now be the only way forward, with this ever increasing costly hobby for me!
Best Regards DaveB

Hi Dave... Smile

Have you taken a look at Martins Website below? much is referenced there re Solar Panels.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/free-solar-panels

I will be applying for the `Free` rent-a-roof scheme via British Gas not having the financial wherewithal to purchase these outright Rolling Eyes

Are the Panels you are considering the new type?

Admin

http://mio-chichi.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:04 pm

Hi Mio
Thanks for the quick reply .Martins website was the first place I looked and probably the first place I look before I do anything finacial.
At the mo I am looking at 3 companies, Evo and 2 locally to carry out the work. The first one was recommended on Martins site.
I am sure that the rent a roof sceme will save you money which all helps especially if your system will be south facing.I have also read that the angle of your roof/panels can play a part too and have read conflicting info regarding what is the optimal angle.
What size sytem are you getting installed and what energy are you hoping to produce from this system?
Best Regards DaveB
DaveB

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:21 pm

British Gas have signed a contract with Panasonic I believe to produce the `smaller` panels because so few rooftops were large enough to incorporate the myriad old panels required to produce sufficient energy.

I can`t remember the wattage figure they quoted me Dave but it would have covered all my electricity costs during the day.

I do have a `South` facing roof which is not huge by any standards.

It`s on a first-come-first-served basis with a limited amount of houses and they don`t have the new panels yet.

They asked me to call back later on in the year because they won`t put anyone on a waiting list.

I`m using around 1,300 pound sterling electricity per year based on last years readings Dave.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:54 pm

Hi Mi0
If your system will cover all your costs throughout the day you will be doing very well.
I had a look at this yesterday which caught my eye.
http://www.tescohomeefficiency.com/electricity-pricing/
Tescos are offering 20% discount until the end of august
Enact (recomended by martin) are the agents for Tesco and will match Tesco price but you do not get the club points which could run into a couple of hundered quid
DaveB

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:19 pm

218 pounds per year savings in electricity isn`t much Dave.

One woman paying 25 pounds per week prior to installation of Solar Panels found she was topping up with just 5 pounds per week post installation of the larger kWp system.

In your case you will at least be able to sell surplus electricity produced back to the National grid.

Are you going with Tesco ? and are these the smaller more efficient Panels ?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:44 pm

Hi Mio
Thanks for the quick response. I have not yet decided. The panels are not the smaller more efficient once but are Sharp HD220 which are are also supposed to be quite good but not as good as Sanyo
I thought that for the same price with Tesco I can get a nearly a 4KW system as apoosed to a 3 kw system with the Sanyo panels. As the panels will be less efficient I will require 4 more. As I have the space this is not the problem. As the Sanyo panels work better in low light I am not sure if my thinking is correct, however as my roof is wsw By the time the sun gets on them it is fairly high in the sky So thought it best to get the max possible with as near to the 4 kw as possibleat that time. ie more panels, unfortunately I will loose out on dark cloudy days.Your views or any others are appreciated Best Regards Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:54 pm

Well I just called BG and they tell me they require even bigger Rooftops now Dave for `Health &Safety issues... meaning I still don`t qualify.... DAMN Rolling Eyes

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:21 pm

Sorry to hear that, are there any alternatives such as wind power>
Best Regards Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:34 pm

DaveB wrote:Sorry to hear that, are there any alternatives such as wind power>
Best Regards Dave

Not that I am aware of Dave ... Green energy applications are a new concept in Wales and few options are available sadly.

That reminds me ... Time I returned the QT Koi back to the main Vat . Rolling Eyes

One heater /pump/air pump less to run for now.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pondy on Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:38 pm

i looked into solar also, as i have a large south facing roof. but by the time you paid the initial outlet (which even though subsidised by my local council is very expensive) and installed the capacitor to store the additionaal energy that may be produced and not used, it would take over 10 years to pay for itself and your running costs. with a estimated lifespan of most solar panels of 5 years ... its just doesnt seem viable.
I also looked at the wind turbine as B+Q did some small ones which i thought could just run my pond. ... erm nope, the wind powered energy is not as easy to store and even if it ran at full power all day every day it would still not produce enough power to run my pond. let alone pay for itself. so once again... its a no go for me.
However if anyone can find a cheaper longer lasting solar panel... id still be interested.
pondy

http://www.koikeepers.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:48 pm

pondy wrote:i looked into solar also, as i have a large south facing roof. but by the time you paid the initial outlet (which even though subsidised by my local council is very expensive) and installed the capacitor to store the additionaal energy that may be produced and not used, it would take over 10 years to pay for itself and your running costs. with a estimated lifespan of most solar panels of 5 years ... its just doesnt seem viable.
I also looked at the wind turbine as B+Q did some small ones which i thought could just run my pond. ... erm nope, the wind powered energy is not as easy to store and even if it ran at full power all day every day it would still not produce enough power to run my pond. let alone pay for itself. so once again... its a no go for me.
However if anyone can find a cheaper longer lasting solar panel... id still be interested.

Hi there Sweetie Smile

The British Gas rep I spoke with estimated a 25 yr lifespan on their Solar Panels Lau scratch http://www.utility-exchange.co.uk/british-gas-signs-solar-panel-deal-with-panasonic-13393/

Where did your 5 yr figure from ?

Last edited by Admin on Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pondy on Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:50 pm

the guy that came to the door trying to sell me the things
pondy

http://www.koikeepers.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:23 pm

pondy wrote:the guy that came to the door trying to sell me the things

The British Gas deal under `rent-a-roof`scheme includes FREE maintenance during the life of the loan of both Solar Panels along with your central heating system ... and the loan is over 25 yrs Lau.

It`s a Fab scheme which I would have jumped at had my roofspace been large enough. Rolling Eyes

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:44 pm

pondy wrote:i looked into solar also, as i have a large south facing roof. but by the time you paid the initial outlet (which even though subsidised by my local council is very expensive) and installed the capacitor to store the additionaal energy that may be produced and not used, it would take over 10 years to pay for itself and your running costs. with a estimated lifespan of most solar panels of 5 years ... its just doesnt seem viable.
I Pondy
I also looked into it a few years ago and it did not seem viable then even with grants. However as far as I am aware the grants sceme has now been scrapped. Instead you will be payed by the electricity suppliers 43p for every KWh produced even if you use it all yourself. ( In reality it is the other customers who do not have it who are subsidising the extra costs).Technology has also move on a tad. Capacitors for storage are no longer used. They now use Invertors to change from DC to AC. and is linked in to your main supply. The only downside I can see is that modern mains meters do not run backwards so all the electricity which is not used at peak times is only assumed which is 50% of what you have produced and you are paid a further 3p per KWH for this. On top of this your bills will be reduced by what ever you energy you can produce. The key would be to use as much of the electricity as possible at peak times of the day . ie cooking, showers, battery chatgers etc. ( Quite easy if you heat your pond by electricity)
Granted It certainly would not be worthwhile if it was not for the 43p for each KWH produced, which by the way is index linked and is garranteed for 25years, with estimates increases of electricity of 12% per year, I fail to see where it is not a win win situation, but correct me if I am wrong before I spend the £11.5 grand.
Best Regards Dave
DaveB

Back to top Go down

Feed-In-Tariff?

Post by Admin on Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:15 pm

An important point worth remembering here Guys is that the `Feed-In-Tariff is finite and won`t be available forever.... meaning New Customers in the Future will be denied such .... Only Customers already in the scheme will be permitted to continue reaping it`s benefits Wink

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:21 pm

I understand that FIT is under review and will be lowerd in March of next year. So as you say if your going to do it now is the time.
Best Regards Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:30 pm

DaveB wrote:Sorry to hear that, are there any alternatives such as wind power>
Best Regards Dave

Wish I had the Financial Wherewithal Dave Rolling Eyes apparently it`s my Chimney being so large that rules my roof out ....

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:23 pm

Any Updates Dave ?

Have you bought the Solar Panels yet ?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:07 pm

Hi guys As you can see I decided to go with the solar panels. So here is a few photos of the panels going up, which is now completed. total system output 3.68 kw which yesterday produced 20kwh, with a max output of 3.8kwh. The system even gives out 1 kw in a shower.The inverter switches on at 7am and shuts down at 8pm. produces 0.5 kw in the morning West facing roof and by 11'oclock is up to 2 kw. So far I am very impressed.

Best Regards Dave
DaveB

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:06 pm

DaveB wrote:

Hi guys As you can see I decided to go with the solar panels. So here is a few photos of the panels going up, which is now completed. total system output 3.68 kw which yesterday produced 20kwh, with a max output of 3.8kwh. The system even gives out 1 kw in a shower.The inverter switches on at 7am and shuts down at 8pm. produces 0.5 kw in the morning West facing roof and by 11'oclock is up to 2 kw. So far I am very impressed.

Best Regards Dave

Phantastic Sweetie Very Happy

I havn`t given up hope yet of finding a company who will fit some for me Rolling Eyes

They even look Good Dave which is important aesthetically speaking.

Will you receive payment for the `Surplus` energy sold on ... and how do they go about that ?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:25 pm

Hi Mio

I am currently waiting for a welcome pack from Scottish Power which will reveal all. ( having now submitted the necessary forms). However I believe the estimated 50% of what I produce will be automatticaly be added to the FIT payment. This small payment of 3p compaired to the 43.3p for the FIT is paid directly to your bank account every 3 months. Exactly when they require the meter readings and when it will be paid is in the welcome pack.

The key is to try and reduce your bills by running anything on timers so that you use the energy at peak pv production times, if this is possible. and use more than the 50% and reduce your bills and still get paid 3p even though you are using it. Hope this makes sense

Best Regards Dave
DaveB

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:29 pm

Out of curiosity Dave ?

What were the Specs of the Solar Panels ?

IE Warranty period/performance etc ?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:46 pm

Specs are as follows 15X 245 Sharp Monocrystal with Fronius IG TL 3.6

You might think it strange having an odd number of panels. However our local producer of power is NEDL ( not supplier Scottish Power) which limit the amount of energy you can supply, without possibly upgrading some of the cables which increases the cost further.

Best Regards Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:52 pm

Was the initial Warranty 5yrs OR ? and what expected depreciation by way of performance figures have you been quoted Dave?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum