CHICHI-MIO

salt requirement to protect koi from nitrite poisoning

View previous topic View next topic Go down

salt requirement to protect koi from nitrite poisoning

Post by DaveB on Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:18 am

As expected the filters have taken a bit of a hit after the recent Chloramine T treatment. My pond nitrite level has now increased to less than 0.1ppm . Possibly 0.05ppm. At the moment I have less than 0.1% salt content. I understand low levels of salt ( Chloride ions) as low as 0.05% is sufficient to protect the koi from nitrite poisoning as the nitrite level is so Low.

I am surprised how quickly the 0.3% salt is being diluted out of the system due to regular water changes.However it is the last bit which will take the longest. Koi are doing very well after the CT treatments and ravenous. Best Regards Dave

Back to top Go down

Re: salt requirement to protect koi from nitrite poisoning

Post by Admin on Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:06 am

If the Koi Babes are behaving normally Dave ... I would not fret about it Sweetie Very Happy

Admin

http://mio-chichi.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:28 pm

Up Date Almost a week after Ct treatments. Sanke went a bit quiet after sedation and inspection a few days ago, but apears to have perked up and is once again swimming around and returning to the surface to eat.

The nitrite levels have increased to above 0.1mg/ltr so I have reduced feeding to only a small amount twice daily. The koi are absolutely ravenous.I have been promised that a mature filter will bounce back quickly, even after a high dose of CT. I must admit the koi don,t seem to mind the nitrite,but wonder about this preventing any natural healing.

On monday, 7 clear days it has been recommended I do another dose of CT.but now wondering is it worth all this hassle to treat one koi and risking the health of all the others. Perhaps it is time to leave well alone.But a shame if I don,t complete the job Just can,t make my mind up so taking it on a daily basis.

Best REgards Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:30 pm

Were I in your situation Sweetie ... I would at this point increase the salinity to both keep the wound clean as well as offset the effects of Nitrite ...

You must be `Happy` with whatever treatment Protocol you choose to go ahead with though ... Very Happy

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:28 pm

Dosed the pond to 0.15% salt as required and will be continueing with lower dose weekly CT treatments as advised by Duncan. However this morning the filters have now kicked in and nitrite levels are almost zero.

Hopefully a couple of these treatments will do the trick. Good job you gave me that link for cheap CT. Thanks

Best Regards Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:05 pm

Sounds like things are settling down Sweetie ...

How is your new Sanke Koi Babe today ?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:39 pm

She is doing very well considering what she has been through. She is swimming around and on the look out for food. It is difficult to access the condition of the wound without lifting her and causing more stress.( I think the last time I sedated her, it caused a bit of a set back again) I now think after this next CT treatment, to possibly leave her alone and allow her own ammune system to do the work. ( and allow me time to relax and enjoy the hobby)Temperatures are around 21 to 22 degs now with the heatpump running during the day so hopefully healing will now become quicker.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:39 pm

Repeated sedation is taxing Dave ... I would leave her alone now too and allow the salt plus Meds do the work permitting her time to heal ... and yourself some respite from the Issues Sweetie Very Happy

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum