CHICHI-MIO

A friend in Need ( a classic story)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A friend in Need ( a classic story)

Post by DaveB on Tue May 29, 2012 5:54 pm

Upon visiting a friend on a number of occations. I noticed that his koi were not in the usual great condition( some very high quality koi ,some from Mike Snaden)I asked my friend a number of questions regarding water quality issues, and all was said to be OK. I was also informed that another friend, a big name in koi circles that the problem was costia due to the koi being marked all in the same place along the lateral line.He was advised to treat with PP. A scope was not taken at that time so I offered to do one for him. At the time he refused my offer. I aslo mentiond that the preffered treatment for costia would be M&F .

One week later on my return. The koi were much better, and the wounds were healing. ( I then found out that antibiotocs had been given)Again we disscussed water quality issues and generally talking about TDS and p.H K.H ,g.H.that sort of thing.When testing his water which is the same as mine out the tap 60ppm. His pond was 113ppm. The answer was no to anything being put in the pond.

I then returned on saturday to find his koi were definately not right. Sulking on the bottom, but revived when I approached the pond. The wounds had clearly flaired up,fortunately the koi were all still feeding. These koi are all 70 & 80 cm long and clearly very strong. My friend was ready to go for the 2 treatments of M & F. Whilst I was there I decided to test his water and found the following, p.H 7.0 Nitrite 0.1 Ammonia zero. Again I offered to scrape & scope a few koi which this time He accepted. I spent the next afternoon scraping and scoping whilst he lifted & treated his koi.I found nothing. I was particularly looking for costia and spent 2 hours at the scope nothing.

Before I left him I did mention that the k.H in his pond was non exsistant and that his p.H was a bit low 7 at 10 am would suggest that it might be lower at first light. The low nitrite of 0.1 on an established pond is not satisfactory and long term could be why he is having problems with costia( reckons he had the problem last year too)

I will return again next weekend and hopefully his problem will be solved after 2 treatments of M&F.I am concernd that we did not find Costia but there is something clearly amiss with the koi. This is a classic story.

Back to top Go down

Re: A friend in Need ( a classic story)

Post by Admin on Tue May 29, 2012 6:13 pm

A Single 1.5 ppm PP Treatment is unlikely to eradicate Costia Dave IMO.

Costia can also be difficult to find unless prolific during an outbreak ....

D.O ... ie the lack of is the singlemost cause of most Maladies particularly in Large Koi Babes ... measure this prior to taking further action would be my advice ....

If low then `Fresh ` Water... Copious AIR/Splash etc can be implemented..

D.O values correspond also to low PH which IF diminishing nocturnally will distress the Koi Babes .... not to mention Bacterial proliferation compounding the situation ...

Admin

http://mio-chichi.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Tue May 29, 2012 6:40 pm

I will follow your advice. even though he does run a bakki shower and waterfall .However with findings of quite a lot of dirt in other filters and on the pond floor, which could possibly cause low DO and readings of nitrite. I advised him to start a trickle in out which should help to dilute what ever is causing the huge difference between Tap and pond.probably nitrate.and phosphate G.H only being 1dh differenceThanks once again for the quick response

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum