CHICHI-MIO

Red algae on shower window.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Red algae on shower window.

Post by alank on Thu May 24, 2012 6:57 am

I have seen it starting to grow on the perspex cover over my shower. Its only at the bottom. I read this is a sign of poor water!

NO2 is slowly coming down and is now at 0.12 from 0.2 ppm.

alank

Back to top Go down

Re: Red algae on shower window.

Post by alank on Thu May 24, 2012 7:02 am

One of the new koi babes is having a torrid time and is hanging in the corners. It is streaked with red veins above the lateral line and around the mouth. I hope it survives.

One of the others seems to swim to the top and then sink tail down.

alank

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu May 24, 2012 9:45 am

Alan ...

Try to remain CALM if at all POSSIBLE ....

They have undergone some stress via introduction to a new environment Sweetie ..

Scrape/Scope .. add copious AIR .. or SPLASH ... but more than anything else Don`t PANIC ....

Admin

http://mio-chichi.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by alank on Thu May 24, 2012 4:52 pm

With the extra air, they seem a lot happier this morning, nitrite has gone down to 0.08ppm. I am wondering if my water filters on the supply water need replacing which could knock the filters back with chlorine getting through the carbon/metals filter. They have a constant trickle of 5 l/h going through them. I turned it off last night and the pond has dropped a full 2" due to RDF cleaning and I assume a lot of evaporation as I have well over 300 l/h of air being pumped into the pond overnight. I am off to get new filters this morning and will top up the pond with 1000 litres of tap water which has been gassing off overnight. I will add tap safe to it before adding slowly to the pond.

alank

Back to top Go down

Post by alank on Thu May 24, 2012 4:53 pm

Mio, do you know if red algae is a problem?

alank

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu May 24, 2012 8:17 pm

alank wrote:Mio, do you know if red algae is a problem?

Red Algae occurs everywhere Alan ... I clean it off the silicon sealer in my Bathroom every few days Sweetie ...

Green Algae turns RED in Bird Baths and such once it dies ...

I would not Fret about it Sweetie Very Happy

Additional `AIR` along with Fresh Water has a HUGE impact usually Alan ... Great news that they have perked up since Very Happy

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue May 29, 2012 10:58 am

How are your new Koi Babes now Sweetie ?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alank on Tue May 29, 2012 3:20 pm

I have lost one to costia an one jumped out two nights ago. I think one more may die as it is acting the same as the one that died. Treating and will re dose this evening.

alank

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue May 29, 2012 5:24 pm

alank wrote:I have lost one to costia an one jumped out two nights ago. I think one more may die as it is acting the same as the one that died. Treating and will re dose this evening.

The Babe who you think you might lose could be PP Dipped Alan and separated from the others in QT temporarily .. But your call Sweetie?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alank on Wed May 30, 2012 10:06 am

I redosed with f&mg earlier and after an hour the sick koi was swimming around. It looks in a terrible state but at least it has finally moved. Talking to experts has revealed that the first dos of f&mg was not nearly strong enough so hopefully, this dose will knock back the costia.

alank

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed May 30, 2012 10:34 am

alank wrote:I redosed with f&mg earlier and after an hour the sick koi was swimming around. It looks in a terrible state but at least it has finally moved. Talking to experts has revealed that the first dos of f&mg was not nearly strong enough so hopefully, this dose will knock back the costia.

Good to hear he is `Rallying ` Sweetie . Very Happy

Get as much `AIR` in there by any means available in the interim Alan ...

I would dose a minimum of 3 MG&F for Costia regardless ... or better still PP Dip any Koi Babes who were struggling ..

I cannot `EMPHASIZE` enough how `Negative` attention to your situation will compound such Sweetie ...

Try this gentle soothing approach for now ... by saying to yourself

The Koi Babe I was worried about .. is looking better than he was AND I have confidence in the Meds /Extra `AIR/SPLASH` etc ... so will try to distract myself from all of it by listening to music/tuning out/focusing upon anything else which FEELS even a little better until tomorrow etc ...

I`m rooting for both You and Them Sweetie Very Happy

Do let me know how it goes ..

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alank on Wed May 30, 2012 6:30 pm

Sadly it was dead this morning. I have done a scrape and it is still teeming with costia. Maybe the meds are not working as I thought they should kill the costia straight away.

Mio, I am not worried or panicking in any way shape or form. Just sad that the poor things are suffering in this way, many thanks for your concern.

alank

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed May 30, 2012 7:32 pm

alank wrote:Sadly it was dead this morning. I have done a scrape and it is still teeming with costia. Maybe the meds are not working as I thought they should kill the costia straight away.

Mio, I am not worried or panicking in any way shape or form. Just sad that the poor things are suffering in this way, many thanks for your concern.

Costia is the Critter I have had most experience in advising Fishkeepers on Alan ...

Tosai are the worse affected likely targets usually .. and I have learned over the years that once debilitation to the point that the Fish is listless and tilting results ... only drastic measures such as PP Dipping/ Formalin Dipping .. or double dosing Formalin with a single Malachite Green are effective in those circumstances ...

http://www.fishhelpline.co.uk/health/costia.html

How are the other Koi Babes responding Sweetie ?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alank on Wed May 30, 2012 8:21 pm

The others seem fine, a few are affected but no where near as bad as the two that died. I look at the filter material and there are costia in there even after 2 doses. Do you know how long it takes to kill them off?

alank

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed May 30, 2012 8:30 pm

alank wrote:The others seem fine, a few are affected but no where near as bad as the two that died. I look at the filter material and there are costia in there even after 2 doses. Do you know how long it takes to kill them off?

So pleased the others are doing well Alan ...

Keep dosing until it is gone would be my advice Sweetie ....

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum