CHICHI-MIO

Shipping out our small koi

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Shipping out our small koi

Post by alank on Tue May 08, 2012 5:56 am

We had a flock spawn 2 years ago and raised a lot of fry. We ended up with about 70 koi of differing quality and size. Some have not grown any bigger than 5cm whilst a few are 25 cm. Most are "garden centre" quality so we are shipping them out. A friend will take most if not all of them. They have an established wildlife pond but have lost koi over the years so have plenty of space. I am not sure what to do with the unwanted ones. I don't want to kill them.

Would it be completely wrong of me to put them in the canal? There are several large koi in the canal near my workshop Many peeps feed them in summer and they seem quite tame. I plan to get them out of the pond over the next week and into a QT. I will PP the qt once they are in there. I did a scrape on several koi s few days ago and found absolutely nothing untoward.

alank

Back to top Go down

Re: Shipping out our small koi

Post by Admin on Wed May 09, 2012 8:07 am

Alan .... Very Happy

How do you `FEEL` about Laws ? many exist prohibiting the release of `Non-Native` Species into the Wild Sweetie ..

Were you to feel `Guilty` or `Negative` in the slightest about doing so ... Red Flags emotionally are there for a reason ...

Your Choice to make though Very Happy

I placed Ad`s in the local papers when seeking new homes for a random Goldfish` Spawn several years ago ... and all were re-homed locally. Very Happy

You could advertise yours for `free` or better still 50p or more each to attract interest which is what I did with mine Very Happy

Admin

http://mio-chichi.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by alank on Thu May 10, 2012 6:10 pm

Fair point Mio. But I dont want loads of would be koi keepers at my pond selecting which ones they want for free. I will find somewhere I am sure.

alank

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu May 10, 2012 7:04 pm

alank wrote:Fair point Mio. But I dont want loads of would be koi keepers at my pond selecting which ones they want for free. I will find somewhere I am sure.

There were numerous `calls` and visits to contend with once I placed the advert Alan ... True ... which might not be to everyone`s liking ...

I`m sure you will find homes for them Sweetie by some other means... Do let us know how they fayre Very Happy

I was very attached to my `Fry` which I`m sure you are too ... Very Happy

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alank on Fri May 18, 2012 2:18 am

Most of the larger koi babes went on Tuesday and are now happy shoaling in a wildlife pond in Clitheroe. They too about 30 ranging from 14" down to 6" and are happy as Larry. When we looked closely at them, there were some lovely koi in there, not thoroughbreds you understand but very nice and healthy koi.

We just have about 50 of the smaller ones to move on now.

alank

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri May 18, 2012 3:46 am

Great News Sweetie ... Very Happy

Hope the remainder find Fab Homes too Alan Very Happy

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alank on Sat May 19, 2012 8:07 pm

And here are our new babes, all 30cm