CHICHI-MIO

Thinking of next project

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Thinking of next project

Post by DaveB on Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:35 am

I am thinking of my next project and whether or not it would be worth the hassle. As you know I currently run my trickle tower with lava rock on the same pump as my bubble bead and now the heat pump as well. The pump delivers 20000ltrs per hour. I also have another skimmer which supplies a venturi. unfortunately my TT is after my BB3 so the nitrogen cycle will have coverted the ammonia to nitrate before the water gets to the TT. I am toying with puting the BB3 on the other skimmer line and returning via the venturi. Upgrading the pump on there from 12000 to 16000 and putting the trickle tower on the 20000 ltrs per hr pump. This will be quite a big job and wonder if it is worth the hassle. Your thoughts would be appreciated

Back to top Go down

Re: Thinking of next project

Post by Admin on Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:04 am

DaveB wrote:I am thinking of my next project and whether or not it would be worth the hassle. As you know I currently run my trickle tower with lava rock on the same pump as my bubble bead and now the heat pump as well. The pump delivers 20000ltrs per hour. I also have another skimmer which supplies a venturi. unfortunately my TT is after my BB3 so the nitrogen cycle will have coverted the ammonia to nitrate before the water gets to the TT. I am toying with puting the BB3 on the other skimmer line and returning via the venturi. Upgrading the pump on there from 12000 to 16000 and putting the trickle tower on the 20000 ltrs per hr pump. This will be quite a big job and wonder if it is worth the hassle. Your thoughts would be appreciated

Dave ...

I have to line my TT Lava Rock with thick Filter Wool Sweetie ... so would not recommend running one minus some `Fines` Filtration implemented prior to ... personally ...

Some residual unconverted Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate might escape the BB3 Bio ... try testing whether this is so would be my advice Wink

But your call as always Very Happy

Admin

http://mio-chichi.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:00 am

Yes I don,t think there is much gets passed the BB. I understand people are running there bakki showers directly off the bottom drain and consiquently have clarity issues

Are then any advantages in Bakki shoers over lava rock

Last edited by DaveB on Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:10 am

My Giant TT (Lava Rock Media) run the Pond single-handedly Dave ... All Media will accumulate a Bio-Film of varying efficiencies ... Lava Rock is particularly Good according to Roddy ...

I have run it Submerged also (in gravity box filters) with 10 adult Koi and a 15 inch Sterlet in just 300 gallons of Water Very Happy and it performed brilliantly ...

I use it in every Filter with the exception of the Sand Filter ... including the WLP too Very Happy

Do what U want to do would be my advice Sweetie Cool

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:05 pm

I will do the tests as you suggested and see how I get on with the nitrate this season with the trickle in 24/7. Which can be much more now since not running RO. tap water has a tds of 65ppm and nitrate is undetectable with kusuri test kit. I have a number of purifiers and can change up to 50% per week if needed and not on a meter

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:29 pm

DaveB wrote:I will do the tests as you suggested and see how I get on with the nitrate this season with the trickle in 24/7. Which can be much more now since not running RO. tap water has a tds of 65ppm and nitrate is undetectable with kusuri test kit. I have a number of purifiers and can change up to 50% per week if needed and not on a meter

That`s a great idea Dave Very Happy

I replace as much water as the Feed percentage rate demands and don`t worry about it ...

We can get too `hung up` on all of this instead of focusing upon the sheer JOY feeding and interacting with our Koi Babes brings Very Happy

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:59 pm

Admin wrote:
DaveB wrote:I will do the tests as you suggested and see how I get on with the nitrate this season with the trickle in 24/7. Which can be much more now since not running RO. tap water has a tds of 65ppm and nitrate is undetectable with kusuri test kit. I have a number of purifiers and can change up to 50% per week if needed and not on a meter

That`s a great idea Dave Very Happy

I replace as much water as the Feed percentage rate demands and don`t worry about it ...

We can get too `hung up` on all of this instead of focusing upon the sheer JOY feeding and interacting with our Koi Babes brings Very Happy
Too true, now where is that deck chair and gin & tonic.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum