CHICHI-MIO

keeping the pond clean

View previous topic View next topic Go down

keeping the pond clean

Post by DaveB on Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:07 am

Hi I came across an artical from a popular koi dealer here in the north east who states that the biological section of a filtration system should never be cleaned and the use of biologcal cleaning products should be used instead ( in other words sludge busters)personally I prefer to get in there and clean them by hand( square vortexes with adgitated K!) generally there is very little if any at all. However when I do I generally give the filters a dose of pp to ensure nothing nasty gets back to the pond. then all is drained to waste.This is a very awkward procedure and a pain

Many years ago I used such products as envirex by Lincolshire fish health and bacterpur . these days I do not since changing my filters from jap matting to moving K!. I am now wondering if the use of Envirex or similar would be easier than the above method or will these products just raise my tds. I understand that these products are usually hetretrophic bacteria, so do we really need these in our pond. Can we be 100% sure that we are keeping all areas of our system clean

Back to top Go down

Re: keeping the pond clean

Post by Admin on Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:26 am

DaveB wrote:Hi I came across an artical from a popular koi dealer here in the north east who states that the biological section of a filtration system should never be cleaned and the use of biologcal cleaning products should be used instead ( in other words sludge busters)personally I prefer to get in there and clean them by hand( square vortexes with adgitated K!) generally there is very little if any at all. However when I do I generally give the filters a dose of pp to ensure nothing nasty gets back to the pond. then all is drained to waste.This is a very awkward procedure and a pain

Many years ago I used such products as envirex by Lincolshire fish health and bacterpur . these days I do not since changing my filters from jap matting to moving K!. I am now wondering if the use of Envirex or similar would be easier than the above method or will these products just raise my tds. I understand that these products are usually hetretrophic bacteria, so do we really need these in our pond. Can we be 100% sure that we are keeping all areas of our system clean

In the Autotroph vs Heretotroph Article I posted previously Dave Arrow http://mio-chichi.forumotion.co.uk/t119-autotroph-vs-heretotroph

Much was discussed in relation to the likelihood of `HERETOTROPHIC` Bacterial Species out- competing AUTOTROPHIC Species due to their prolific multiplication rate by comparison ...

I would not add any `Heretotrophic` Bacterial Species product to a BIOLOGICAL media Filter section personally for that very reason Wink

Could you not perhaps line the Vortex K1 with Filter Wool Sweetie Question and replace this frequently.

Established Bio-Films are virtually impenetrable by simple cleaning Dave ...

I spent hours `Pressure Washing` all of mine off when moving the Koi Babes prior to sterilising several systems Very Happy

Admin

http://mio-chichi.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:15 pm

Mio Thanks for the comments. My static K1 (home made easy screen) together with vortex is very efficient at removing solids and the fact that I have a aquamax eco 16000 on one bottom drain does not allow much settleing out. Filter wool is just not practical ( would restrict flow too much & require cleaning every hour and probably cause problems with a high turn over pump). A would hope that any particals which do not get trapped would pass through the system and then be picked up by the BB3 hence the high clarity of the water. However over time could there be any unacceble areas which may build up. Again removing media from filters is not for me if I can help it. I used to have to do this on a regular basis until I changed my media to moving K1

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:27 pm

DaveB wrote:Mio Thanks for the comments. My static K1 (home made easy screen) together with vortex is very efficient at removing solids and the fact that I have a aquamax eco 16000 on one bottom drain does not allow much settleing out. Filter wool is just not practical ( would restrict flow too much & require cleaning every hour and probably cause problems with a high turn over pump). A would hope that any particals which do not get trapped would pass through the system and then be picked up by the BB3 hence the high clarity of the water. However over time could there be any unacceble areas which may build up. Again removing media from filters is not for me if I can help it. I used to have to do this on a regular basis until I changed my media to moving K1

Dave Very Happy

Your water quality demonstrates how efficient your cleaning protocol is, I would not worry about it in your shoes Sweetie Very Happy

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:02 pm

Thanks for reminding me in your previous thread regarding heretotroph bacteria which reminded me of in the days when I used such products and had dirty filters. I always had high nitrates and needed loads of K.H. to maintain a p.H. above 7. Oh and I always had a low trace of nitrite. It all makes sense .

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:46 pm

It was Exhilarating researching that Material Dave Very Happy I do so love delving myriad interesting Topics Wink

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:09 pm

I looked back in my diary and it is almost 2 years since I inspected under the media trays at the bottom of my square vortexes ( doesn't time fly), so Just for piece of mind I decided to take a look in the bottom of my filters and it has taken me 2 days to complete. I can't remember putting that much K1 in there.What I found was very pleasing. Only small pockets of sludge was found . and all was sweet smelling. definately no hydrogen sulphide.

I think this proves that I have a good disigned filter system with correct flow rates and suffiecient maintenance.What suprised me was that after the clean up my orp has increased by 25 to 50 mv. Which i did not expect after finding so little. So well worth doing it. Piece at last or maybe not?????

Last edited by DaveB on Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:15 pm

DaveB wrote:I looked back in my diary and it is almost 2 years since I inspected under the media trays at the bottom of my square vortexes ( doesn't tim fly), so Just for piece of mind I decided to take a look in the bottom of my filters and it has taken me 2 days to complete. I can't remember putting that nuch K1 in there.What I found was very pleasing. Only small pockets of sludge was found . and all was sweet smelling. definately no hydrogen sulphide.

I think this proves that I have good disigned filter system with correct flow rates and suffiecient maintenance.What suprised me was that after the clean up my orp has increased by 25 to 50 mv. Which i did not expect after finding so little. So well worth doing it. Piece at last or maybe not?????

Glad you and your Koi are`Happy` Dave Very Happy

Just take the `Maybe Not` part out of the equation Laughing sounds like your routine is serving you very well Sweetie ... Wink

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum