CHICHI-MIO

How Old are your Phish ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How Old are your Phish ?

Post by Admin on Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:10 pm

Out of curiosity Guys and in the Knowledge Koi are very long lived .... Very Happy How old are your Phish ?

My eldest Babes are approx 7 ..... which is as long as I have owned Ponds Very Happy

Some attain great ages Very Happy

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?107551-Is-WIKIPEDIA-accurate-on-koi?s=

http://www.echigo.ne.jp/~koi/zen/hanako.htm

_________________
MIO/CHICHI
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 1974
Join date : 2011-02-08

http://mio-chichi.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: How Old are your Phish ?

Post by DaveB on Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:43 pm

Mio One of my koi is now 17 years old which was one of three koi left which was purchased when I first started. Sadly I lost two over the past couple of yrs, for reasons unkwnown to me. A kumonryu & yamabuki Ogon both in excess of 30" and both males.This was one of the reasons why I nearly packed it all in

Some people would say due to heating throughout winter may have shortened their life span. However many koi have survived much longer than this which have also never experience winters. Perhaps its genetics or just bad luck

_________________
Best Regards Dave
avatar
DaveB

Posts : 589
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 62
Location : Tyne & Wear England

Back to top Go down

Re: How Old are your Phish ?

Post by Admin on Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:30 pm

In a Pond environment 17 yrs is excellent imo Dave Very Happy and demonstrates your dedication to taking great care of them. Very Happy


_________________
MIO/CHICHI
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 1974
Join date : 2011-02-08

http://mio-chichi.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: How Old are your Phish ?

Post by DaveB on Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:27 am

Admins wrote:In a Pond environment 17 yrs is excellent imo Dave Very Happy and demonstrates your dedication to taking great care of them. Very Happy

Mio I have always tried to do my best and gain as much knowlwdge down the years as I possibly can . I will continue to buy smaller koi and watch them develope as this aspect of the hobby is where I get a lot of enjoyment. Unfortunately losing the ones which grew up with my daughter and were even given pet names by her is a loss which was vet hard to bare

_________________
Best Regards Dave
avatar
DaveB

Posts : 589
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 62
Location : Tyne & Wear England

Back to top Go down

Re: How Old are your Phish ?

Post by Admin on Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:14 am

My Children Named my Koi too Dave so I can empathize with you after losing the lovely Gin Chag when he leapt out during the tail end of Hurricane Katia last year ... he was but a Babe at just 5 yrs and 40 cm`s long ...

Still saving for the new Pond Rolling Eyes which I hope will not be intercepted by some dreadful major financial hiccup in the interim of any kind Very Happy

_________________
MIO/CHICHI
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 1974
Join date : 2011-02-08

http://mio-chichi.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: How Old are your Phish ?

Post by DaveB on Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:21 am

Admins wrote:My Children Named my Koi too Dave so I can empathize with you after losing the lovely Gin Chag when he leapt out during the tail end of Hurricane Katia last year ... he was but a Babe at just 5 yrs and 40 cm`s long ...

Still saving for the new Pond Rolling Eyes which I hope will not be intercepted by some dreadful major financial hiccup in the interim of any kind Very Happy
I look forward to the progress report of your new build

_________________
Best Regards Dave
avatar
DaveB

Posts : 589
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 62
Location : Tyne & Wear England

Back to top Go down

Re: How Old are your Phish ?

Post by Admin on Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:57 am

I`m about to apply for planning permission to divert the Pipes and Manholes Dave Exclamation

Not sure I will get it for a Pond Build .... but my Builder mentioned they do give consent for Drains to be diverted for `Conservatories/Extensions etc Question

Twill mean foregoing a future Conservatory at the back of the House unless it`s built over and around the Pond Very Happy

_________________
MIO/CHICHI
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 1974
Join date : 2011-02-08

http://mio-chichi.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: How Old are your Phish ?

Post by DaveB on Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:36 pm

Admins wrote:I`m about to apply for planning permission to divert the Pipes and Manholes Dave Exclamation

Not sure I will get it for a Pond Build .... but my Builder mentioned they do give consent for Drains to be diverted for `Conservatories/Extensions etc Question

Twill mean foregoing a future Conservatory at the back of the House unless it`s built over and around the Pond Very Happy

Mio A friend of mine has build a pond where part of it goes into the consevatory. During the winter the pond is covered and the section of the pond into the consevatory is not covered, where the koi hang around waiting to be fed. A really nice idea. Not sure what the heating arrangments are but he does heat the consevatory during the winter and if the outside of the pond is well isulated then the pond might be maintained at a reasonable temperatue, just a thought

_________________
Best Regards Dave
avatar
DaveB

Posts : 589
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 62
Location : Tyne & Wear England

Back to top Go down

Re: How Old are your Phish ?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum