CHICHI-MIO

Coming in and out of winter smoothly

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Coming in and out of winter smoothly

Post by DaveB on Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:21 am

How quickly should we allow our koi to go into and come out of winter. do we allow temps to fall naturally and then rise naturally or do we add heat in the spring to prevent fluctuations and allow the kois immune system to catch up. Or do we raise temperatures bringing the koi above 13 degs C above temperatures more quickly, where some chemicals are useless at temperature below this and some parasites can proliferate( can,t remember which ones) Also at what temps do we stop feeding and when do we start again or does this depend upon wether or not you are heated and your pond volume( reducing chances of a sudden fall in temperatures.)

Back to top Go down

Re: Coming in and out of winter smoothly

Post by Admin on Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:59 am

Most Keepers cannot afford to "heat" their Koi Ponds at all Dave so the next best thing is covering and insulation along with optimal Water Quality.

That said ... with such a terribly short growing season here in the UK ... coupled with prolonged "Freezing" Winters it`s little wonder the Koi Babes succumb to Pathogens as the Temps rise in Spring ...

In my own personal experience all that was gained during the brief peak Summer high temp spells was lost over the following Winter..

A Fasting period for Females is thought to be beneficial but 6 months @ between 10-0 degrees C takes it`s toll imo.

Only since I have been cutting the Winters short by applying heat have I stopped losing Koi Babes during Spring with the exception of the Tumour recently which was probably genetic ...

I feed sparingly down to 6 degrees C if params are conducive to such then cease altogether at lower temps ..

The longer immunity is depressed/suppressed the longer it takes to revive .... maintaining water quality if one cannot apply heat will help to offset succumbing to Pathogens as the Temps rise naturally but "Heat" is much more beneficial IF one can afford this Luxury ...

Admin

http://mio-chichi.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:55 am

many koi keepers that used to over winter koi at 14 degs C are now opting for a winter period albiet a lot shorter than one who has no heat at all.
This last year before renewing my boiler the summer temperatures were a miserable high of 20 degs C for just a few short weeks. With giving the koi a winter period and saving costs which can be utlised in the summer making the summer a shade longer.One of my concerns is bringing the temps through the range between 10 degs and 14 degs and believe it would be benificial not to take too long in doing this. before I fitted the new boiler this seemed to take for ever even when the pond ws covered . However personal experience is that nearly all spring problems have been once temperature reach 16 degs.Your thoughts would be appreciated

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:10 am

2C per day is fine for raising Temps Dave if you wanted to bring these up quickly from 10-14C ....

Mine increased from 10-20C in 3 days when I began to shorten their Winters by bringing them Indoors ...

Noteworthy is the fact that any wounds/injuries/infections present at low Temps will proliferate exponentially more quickly than the Koi Babes Immune response does once one applies heat...

Mio`s Facial Ulcer was entirely stable at 4C in the Pond until I brought him in whereupon the Infection progressed rapidly forcing treatment asap.

Admin

http://mio-chichi.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum