CHICHI-MIO

Heat Pump vs Element Heaters !

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Heat Pump vs Element Heaters !

Post by DaveB on Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:12 am

Good luck with the RBD and look forward to the picks

_________________
Best Regards Dave
avatar
DaveB

Posts : 589
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 62
Location : Tyne & Wear England

Back to top Go down

Re: Heat Pump vs Element Heaters !

Post by DaveB on Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:51 am

The thermostat on the Heat pump is not accurate to 0.5 degs C . At 2 oclock the pond had eventually dropped 0.6 deg C since yesterday and had still not cut in( very mild for febuary). I now can't make my mind up wether I need to wire my digistat thermostat into the heat pump or leave it where it is, on the boiler as a back up and just run the heat pump on a timer 3rd choice would be to just switch it on through the day as required.*( especially on sunny days when it is for free) Remember either wiring the thermostat or the timer into the heat pump would need to be done through the flow switch and not directly onto the power supply, as power to the heat pump is needed 24/7 so that safety features such as automatic defrost are in place Hope this makes sense.

_________________
Best Regards Dave
avatar
DaveB

Posts : 589
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 62
Location : Tyne & Wear England

Back to top Go down

Re: Heat Pump vs Element Heaters !

Post by Admin on Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:58 am

DaveB wrote:The thermostat on the Heat pump is not accurate to 0.5 degs C . At 2 oclock the pond had eventually dropped 0.6 deg C since yesterday and had still not cut in( very mild for febuary). I now can't make my mind up wether I need to wire my digistat thermostat into the heat pump or leave it where it is, on the boiler as a back up and just run the heat pump on a timer 3rd choice would be to just switch it on through the day as required.*( especially on sunny days when it is for free) Remember either wiring the thermostat or the timer into the heat pump would need to be done through the flow switch as power to the heat pump is needed 24/7 so that safety features such as automatic defrost are in place. Hope this makes sense.

Dave ..

In that situation .... I personally would call the retailer and run it by them Sweetie Smile I`m sure they would be more than Happy to advise Very Happy

_________________
MIO/CHICHI
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 1970
Join date : 2011-02-08

http://mio-chichi.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Heat Pump vs Element Heaters !

Post by DaveB on Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:24 am

I have already done so and unfortunatly, he didn,t have much idea, not being either electrically or koi minded. He has been toying with getting the manufacturers to develope a range of heat pumps specifically for the koi pond market similar to the Duratech plus range( an extra £400 for a timer) and I suggested to him that a more accurate thermostat, (possibly wireless would be a nice touch).All adding to the cost

_________________
Best Regards Dave
avatar
DaveB

Posts : 589
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 62
Location : Tyne & Wear England

Back to top Go down

Re: Heat Pump vs Element Heaters !

Post by Admin on Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:42 am

DaveB wrote:I have already done so and unfortunatly, he didn,t have much idea, not being either electrically or koi minded. He has been toying with getting the manufacturers to develope a range of heat pumps specifically for the koi pond market similar to the Duratech plus range( an extra £400 for a timer) and I suggested to him that a more accurate thermostat, (possibly wireless would be a nice touch).All adding to the cost

Sounds like you know more about the wiring than they Dave ...

Go with the idea you have a hunch will work best then Sweetie Very Happy

_________________
MIO/CHICHI
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 1970
Join date : 2011-02-08

http://mio-chichi.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Heat Pump vs Element Heaters !

Post by DaveB on Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:20 pm

At 10.30 am I noticed that the house electric meter had stopped going around as Solar panels were producing more than I was using so switched on the heat pump so the Grid would not recieve anything ( still getting payed for 50% of what the solar panels are producing) Isn't this great.

Although I am still not getting all the heat from the heat pump free, the COP figures must be much higher due to not paying for all of the energy used. Once The panels produce 2.8 kw or more. ( should happen later today if weather forcast is correct)Then its free heat for me!

_________________
Best Regards Dave
avatar
DaveB

Posts : 589
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 62
Location : Tyne & Wear England

Back to top Go down

Re: Heat Pump vs Element Heaters !

Post by Admin on Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:31 pm

PHANTASTIC Dave Very Happy

_________________
MIO/CHICHI
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 1970
Join date : 2011-02-08

http://mio-chichi.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Heat Pump vs Element Heaters !

Post by DaveB on Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:36 am

It would appear I have some resemblence to controlling the pond temperature with a fluctuation of 0.5 deg C within a 24 hour period.

At the moment due to mild ambient temps it has not been necessary to run the boiler as a back up or the heat pump other than during the afternoon. for 4 hours in the afternoon most of which the power used is free.This is maintaining a temp between 13.3 and 13. 8 degs C. Happy me and happy koi

_________________
Best Regards Dave
avatar
DaveB

Posts : 589
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 62
Location : Tyne & Wear England

Back to top Go down

Re: Heat Pump vs Element Heaters !

Post by Admin on Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:48 am

DaveB wrote:It would appear I have some resemblence to controlling the pond temperature with a fluctuation of 0.5 deg C within a 24 hour period.

At the moment due to mild ambient temps it has not been necessary to run the boiler as a back up or the heat pump other than during the afternoon. for 4 hours in the afternoon most of which the power used is free.This is maintaining a temp between 13.3 and 13. 8 degs C. Happy me and happy koi

And getting `Happier` by the Day with all your renewable energy Dave by all accounts Sweetie Very Happy

_________________
MIO/CHICHI
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 1970
Join date : 2011-02-08

http://mio-chichi.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Heat Pump vs Element Heaters !

Post by DaveB on Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:39 am

Plan C .Timer now wired in on the flow switch and set for 5 hours in the afternoon. maximum 14 degs. C. Boiler thermostat set at 13.4 and due to the ambient temperatures being somewhat cooler than last week has cut in a couple of times during the period the heat pump is not running. Seems to be working OK and the pond is now 2 degs C. warmer than before I had the heat pump.

_________________
Best Regards Dave
avatar
DaveB

Posts : 589
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 62
Location : Tyne & Wear England

Back to top Go down

Re: Heat Pump vs Element Heaters !

Post by Admin on Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:49 am

DaveB wrote:Plan C .Timer now wired in on the flow switch and set for 5 hours in the afternoon. maximum 14 degs. C. Boiler thermostat set at 13.4 and due to the ambient temperatures being somewhat cooler than last week has cut in a couple of times during the period the heat pump is not running. Seems to be working OK and the pond is now 2 degs C. warmer than before I had the heat pump.

2C warmer is great Dave Very Happy Glad your Happy with it ...

We have a brief `Cold` Snap forecast which should be only temporary ...

All-In-All though Winter has been Fab ... Very Happy

_________________
MIO/CHICHI
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 1970
Join date : 2011-02-08

http://mio-chichi.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Heat Pump vs Element Heaters !

Post by DaveB on Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:33 pm

After week running I took some meter readings as I do every saturday morning. Although it has been generally a mild week so not completely accurate ( but then again the pond is 2 Degs C higher)So as the weeks pass I will have a better idea. Anyway. The electric has gone up by 20p per day and if it weren,y for the solar panels this would be 38p per day This should improve as the solar panels produce more. Now here is the thing the gas cost 70p less per day than the previous week. So total saving for using the heat pump is 50p per day. Not bad for this time of year

_________________
Best Regards Dave
avatar
DaveB

Posts : 589
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 62
Location : Tyne & Wear England

Back to top Go down

Re: Heat Pump vs Element Heaters !

Post by Admin on Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:06 pm

WOW Shocked

AMAZING ... and the Koi are 2C higher with the heat pump than they were with Gas Dave Very Happy

Great savings ....

_________________
MIO/CHICHI
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 1970
Join date : 2011-02-08

http://mio-chichi.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Heat Pump vs Element Heaters !

Post by DaveB on Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:21 am

I am now getting a couple of hours per day running the heat pump for completely free of charge due to the higher than expected Solar Panel preformance. Hope it continues

_________________
Best Regards Dave
avatar
DaveB

Posts : 589
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 62
Location : Tyne & Wear England

Back to top Go down

Re: Heat Pump vs Element Heaters !

Post by Admin on Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:58 am

DaveB wrote:I am now getting a couple of hours per day running the heat pump for completely free of charge due to the higher than expected Solar Panel preformance. Hope it continues

Excellent Dave .... Very Happy

You must be getting our Glorious Sunshine sunny


Are they still 2C higher than with the Gas Boiler ?

_________________
MIO/CHICHI
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 1970
Join date : 2011-02-08

http://mio-chichi.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Heat Pump vs Element Heaters !

Post by DaveB on Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:34 am

Yes still running at 2 degs higher. I don,t want to go any higher than 14 degs C at the moment, as I would rather take the covers off earlier and see what the costs are then. Only a few weeks to go. ( when the clocks go forward the covers are off)

_________________
Best Regards Dave
avatar
DaveB

Posts : 589
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 62
Location : Tyne & Wear England

Back to top Go down

Re: Heat Pump vs Element Heaters !

Post by Admin on Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:48 am

I`m looking forward to removing both covers too Dave ....

All @ 13C atm without `heat` Very Happy

_________________
MIO/CHICHI
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 1970
Join date : 2011-02-08

http://mio-chichi.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Heat Pump vs Element Heaters !

Post by DaveB on Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:54 am

I know one or two people near where I live who are also covered without heat and they think they are doing great at 9 degs they had a short spell last week of just over 10 degs but temps have been gradually falling since then. However a believe there is another high pressure on its way at the weekend. Clearly you must live in a warmer micro climate than us here in the bitterly cold NE england with max temps of 7 degs today but -3 for the last couple of nights

_________________
Best Regards Dave
avatar
DaveB

Posts : 589
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 62
Location : Tyne & Wear England

Back to top Go down

Re: Heat Pump vs Element Heaters !

Post by Admin on Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:06 am

DaveB wrote:I know one or two people near where I live who are also covered without heat and they think they are doing great at 9 degs they had a short spell last week of just over 10 degs but temps have been gradually falling since then. However a believe there is another high pressure on its way at the weekend. Clearly you must live in a warmer micro climate than us here in the bitterly cold NE england with max temps of 7 degs today but -3 for the last couple of nights

I think covers ... especially those which `transfer` Heat make a considerable difference Dave ... Very Happy

Mine would probably be 9C or lower without the Solar Pool Covers ....

Winter has been Phantastic this year though Very Happy it has to be said Sweetie ...


_________________
MIO/CHICHI
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 1970
Join date : 2011-02-08

http://mio-chichi.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Heat Pump vs Element Heaters !

Post by DaveB on Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:57 pm

I am now running the heat pump for 6 hours a day and as the days get longer perhaps I will run it for longer. At present the heat pump raises the pond temperature around 0.1 degree C every hour. However this is not consistant. When ambient temps are 12 degs or less the the difference between the iheat pump nlet water temp and the outlets temp is only 1 degree. Once ambient temps increase higher, not very often but 15 degs and above ,this temp differential is 2 degrees. So the the Coefficient of preformance is subtancially higher at warmer temps.

When things war, up a bit and the C.O.P is higher than the gas. Perhaps I will run the heat pump more.It is all a bit of a learning curve

_________________
Best Regards Dave
avatar
DaveB

Posts : 589
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 62
Location : Tyne & Wear England

Back to top Go down

Re: Heat Pump vs Element Heaters !

Post by Admin on Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:09 pm

How much of the 6 hour `heat pump` running time is free Dave via the Solar Panel output Question


_________________
MIO/CHICHI
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 1970
Join date : 2011-02-08

http://mio-chichi.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Heat Pump vs Element Heaters !

Post by DaveB on Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:55 pm

Impossible to say for certain unless you get 100% sun. Then it would all be free.If 100% cloudy and the panel out put is less than 1.5kw then zero is free. At the moment each day is different but at a guess I would say on average between 40 & 60% of the electricity used by the heat pump is free

_________________
Best Regards Dave
avatar
DaveB

Posts : 589
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 62
Location : Tyne & Wear England

Back to top Go down

Re: Heat Pump vs Element Heaters !

Post by Admin on Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:41 am

40-60% is fantastic Dave ... and can only get better Very Happy

_________________
MIO/CHICHI
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 1970
Join date : 2011-02-08

http://mio-chichi.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Heat Pump vs Element Heaters !

Post by DaveB on Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:35 pm

I am maintaining 15 to 16 degs C with only heat pump on between 2 oclock & 5, 0clock in the afternoon as the pond is rising a few points with ambient temps through the day. between 12 oclock & 2 oclock we are running things like washing machine & dish washer.It will be interesting to see how we getting on next week when ambient temps could be as low as 9 deg during the day and zero at night.This is what I expecting here at this time of the year

_________________
Best Regards Dave
avatar
DaveB

Posts : 589
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 62
Location : Tyne & Wear England

Back to top Go down

Re: Heat Pump vs Element Heaters !

Post by Admin on Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:06 am

Are those 3 hrs `Heat Pump`energy free via the SP`s Dave ?

16C is excellent for this time of year Sweetie Very Happy

My unheated WLP has maxed out to 14+C at best to date ... but is North facing ... The Koi South facing in full sunny are @ 18C but still benefiting from the Solar Pool Cover heat transfer Very Happy

_________________
MIO/CHICHI
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 1970
Join date : 2011-02-08

http://mio-chichi.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Heat Pump vs Element Heaters !

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum