CHICHI-MIO

Heat Pump vs Element Heaters !

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Heat Pump vs Element Heaters !

Post by DaveB on Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:42 pm

I have been doing some Maths which I hope is near the mark

Current gas cost for heating the pond is calculated that the boiler uses 2m3 of gas for every hour running which is 22.3 kwhrs ( The boiler is rated at 22 kw) The boiler is running for 3 hours max at the moment. At current gas prices including VAt this costs me £2.22 per Day.

Now the toatl output for the boiler running for 3 hours is 67.8kwhrs and assuming the Heatpump has a COP of 5.5 input 1.2kw output 6.6kw

for the same output the heatpump would be running for 8.5 hours for a input power of 10.27 kwhr 67.8 divided by 6.6 = 10.27 at a cost of £1.00 This would give a saving of £1.22 per day.

However this does not takeinto account If I get any of the power free from the Solar panels. It will be interesting to see how it all works out.

It is my intention to use the heat pump a couple of times throughout the day not totalling more than 8 hours to see if this will maintain current pond temps . The boiler will only be used as a backup and for fine control during the evening ( as little as possible)

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:01 pm

Hi Guys

Just been down to the local koi dealer for some bits and pieces mainly plumbing and came back with a TMC 55 watt UV. Just coudn,t resist it. I have decided to fit this at the same time as the heat pump as I will be messing around anyway. No doubt I will need to go back again as there is always something which I have missed off the list

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:20 pm

That will save you renewing the Tube in the old UV Dave ... this Season at least ... Very Happy

The TMC 55 watt UV is a great piece of kit Cool

Admin

http://mio-chichi.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:40 pm

Mio Yes good point. I have always run 2 x 30 watt in the past However I now intend to run 1 x55 and also 1 x 30 watts during the summer months whilst the covers are off and drop down to 30 w unit only during the winter which has always kept the water clear in the past. I am also putting the UV on the main filter system ( where it is at the moment) as this ensures the water is nice and clean before hitting the UV.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:46 pm

DaveB wrote:Mio Yes good point. I have always run 2 x 30 watt in the past However I now intend to run 1 x55 and also 1 x 30 watts during the summer months whilst the covers are off and drop down to 30 w unit only during the winter which has always kept the water clear in the past. I am also putting the UV on the main filter system ( where it is at the moment) as this ensures the water is nice and clean before hitting the UV.

I agree Dave .. Very Happy

I will be adding a Pre-Filter to my separate 55 watt UV line this season also .... It helps with maintenance exponentially Sweetie ... Very Happy

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:07 am

Yes I agree. my other one is fitted after my bubblebead

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:24 am

Plan C. After carefully reading the installation instructions. I have,t the room to fit it on the main filter system. So after wireing everything in I have decided to fitted it after the bubblebead so the heater is out of the way and is not directly in view when looking at the pond. I have spent this afternoon changing the electric supply via a 16 amp breaker( compressors have a higher start up current than pumps) So now just waiting for delivery which is tomorrow morning. unfortunately I am off to hospital again, this time for an endoscopy tomorrow afternoon, but hoping I won,t be out of action too long.

I will try and get the hang of uploading some photos of installation

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:36 am

DaveB wrote:Plan C. After carefully reading the installation instructions. I have,t the room to fit it on the main filter system. So after wireing everything in I have decided to fitted it after the bubblebead so the heater is out of the way and is not directly in view when looking at the pond. I have spent this afternoon changing the electric supply via a 16 amp breaker( compressors have a higher start up current than pumps) So now just waiting for delivery which is tomorrow morning. unfortunately I am off to hospital again, this time for an endoscopy tomorrow afternoon, but hoping I won,t be out of action too long.

Photo`s ... Yes Please Sweetie ..... Very Happy

Dave open a Photobucket account ... Upload them there and I will run you through linking them here Cool

All the best with the Endoscopy tomorrow Very Happy

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:25 pm

I already have a photobucket account so no problem there. The last time I uploaded the photos I had a problem with sizes

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:18 pm

DaveB wrote:I already have a photobucket account so no problem there. The last time I uploaded the photos I had a problem with sizes

I will add this to the Photobucket Tutorial .. but here it is phor now Laughing

In Photobucket click `EDIT` Very Happy

Once in edit you can `Autofix` resize pics from the list above the image etc.

Click the `Resize` option like so Arrow

Then choose `preset` sizes Arrow

Click the `Arrow` and a `drop-down-menu` will appear Arrow Arrow

Choose 640X480 then `apply` Very Happy

You can then either save a copy of the new size image OR replace the original Very Happy

Hope that Helps Sweetie Very Happy

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:42 am

Admin wrote:
DaveB wrote:Plan C. After carefully reading the installation instructions. I have,t the room to fit it on the main filter system. So after wireing everything in I have decided to fitted it after the bubblebead so the heater is out of the way and is not directly in view when looking at the pond. I have spent this afternoon changing the electric supply via a 16 amp breaker( compressors have a higher start up current than pumps) So now just waiting for delivery which is tomorrow morning. unfortunately I am off to hospital again, this time for an endoscopy tomorrow afternoon, but hoping I won,t be out of action too long.

Photo`s ... Yes Please Sweetie ..... Very Happy

Dave open a Photobucket account ... Upload them there and I will run you through linking them here Cool

All the best with the Endoscopy tomorrow Very Happy
Back from the endoscopy and all went well so hopefully back into action with the heat pump tomorrow morning

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:47 am

You getting used to these Hospital procedures now Sweetie Very Happy Glad it went well Very Happy

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:55 am

Yes I am really hoping that is the last one for a while

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:59 am

Admin wrote:Your getting used to these Hospital procedures now Sweetie Very Happy Glad it went well Very Happy

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:34 am

Hi All heat pump progress report . After delivery yesterday I managed to get the unit unpacked, in position and bolt down on vibration feet.

Today The unit was plumbed in , inclusing bypass valves

Here is a photo of the bypass valves in position

Afterward I managed to get the unit wired in directly from the consumer baord on its own 16 amp C type breaker

14.30 hours All up and running. It took a while to adjust the flow rate through the condenser to achieve the desired water temp differential of 2 degs C. It has now been running for 2 hours and has lifted the pond temp by 0.3 degs C. The ambient temp was 9 degs when started but is now quicky falling. I will run it a while longer to see if it is still producing sufficient heat to raise the pond, if not I will continue again tomorrow morning when hopefully some of the heat will be for free

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:42 am

Great Pics Dave Very Happy and a Project you must be thrilled with Very Happy

Is that a `Bridge` over your pond Sweetie Question

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:00 am

Yes I build the bridge a few years ago and because I G4 the bridge It is still going strong . I will send some picks when the covers are off. Pond still rising from 11.9 to 12.4 degs C and ambient temps only 6 degs now but still running

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:07 am

It Looks Great Dave Very Happy

Let us know how high the Temps have risen when you decide to turn it off.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:33 am

18.00 hrs and off . Temp rise after 3.5 hours 0.5 degs C. Cost for almost 6 hours running is equivalent to 1 hour on the boiler. I will run the boiler for 1 hour tonight to see if it maintains 0.5 deg C. I will then run the Heat pump tomorrow for 6 hours between 11pm & 17.00 hours and see what temp rise I get. It might take me a while to figure out what is the best way. It might be just as easy to run the heat pump all the time and just test the boiler once a week and keep it just for very cold spells.

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:57 pm

Hi guys. A extention kit came with the heat pump which allows you to wire the control panel indoors. So I have fitted this the morning and the numbers are much easier to read in the control room ( shed)

Pond temp reading 12.2 degs C this morning. I had Planned on switching the heat pump on at 11 oclock however weather is very cloudy so waiting to see what developes

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:03 pm

DaveB wrote:Hi guys. A extention kit came with the heat pump which allows you to wire the control panel indoors. So I have fitted this the morning and the numbers are much easier to read in the control room ( shed)

Pond temp reading 12.2 degs C this morning. I had Planned on switching the heat pump on at 11 oclock however weather is very cloudy so waiting to see what developes

Control Room Laughing (shed) made me smile Dave ... Great that the panel can be fitted indoors though Sweetie Very Happy

Hope you catch some of our Glorious sunny Sunshine later today Very Happy

Do Keep us posted Very Happy

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:41 am

Day 2 Heat pump run for 4 hours and cut out at 13 deg C on Heat pump thermostat. 0.5 degs increase on digistat thermostat ( now reading 12.7 degs C) I am now waiting to see if and when the Heat pump will cut in. Hopefully at 12.5 degs C. Boiler is set at 12 degs just in case heat pump does not cut in during the night.

next project UV to main filter system but need some more pipe fittings & glue

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:45 am

Admin wrote:
DaveB wrote:Hi guys. A extention kit came with the heat pump which allows you to wire the control panel indoors. So I have fitted this the morning and the numbers are much easier to read in the control room ( shed)

Control Room Laughing (shed) made me smile Dave ... Great that the panel can be fitted indoors though Sweetie Very Happy

The Control room ( nerve centre is for qualified personel only Ha Ha)

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:48 am

Your on a Roll with Upgrades atm by the sound of things Dave Very Happy

I can`t wait to tackle the RBD etc once the ground has all dried out.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:50 am

DaveB wrote:
Admin wrote:

The Control room ( nerve centre is for qualified personel only Ha Ha)

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum