CHICHI-MIO

Heat Pump vs Element Heaters !

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Heat Pump vs Element Heaters !

Post by DaveB on Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:51 am

Yes Free Free. With ambient temps being so high and COP figures being in the region of 5 or 6 the output is aroung 6 kw. This heats the pond up 0.6 degs in 3 hours. The pond would rise anyway due to ambient temps but for some reason in my pond situation this would normally only be about 0.1 deg in the same 3 hours.( not much sun on the pond at that time of day perhaps)

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:04 am

DaveB wrote:Yes Free Free. With ambient temps being so high and COP figures being in the region of 5 or 6 the output is aroung 6 kw. This heats the pond up 0.6 degs in 3 hours. The pond would rise anyway due to ambient temps but for some reason in my pond situation this would normally only be about 0.1 deg in the same 3 hours.( not much sun on the pond at that time of day perhaps)

It`s all GOOD Dave given your Pond in uncovered now Very Happy you must be delighted with your recent SP/Heat Pump Upgrades etc Very Happy

Admin

http://mio-chichi.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:34 am

Yes I am pretty much convinced and I think the SP and heat pump combination will be even better with sunny days and not so cold nights. In this situation it maybe possible to heat the pond by the heat pump alone. ie when COP figures are continously above 4 or 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:51 am

DaveB wrote:Yes I am pretty much convinced and I think the SP and heat pump combination will be even better with sunny days and not so cold nights. In this situation it maybe possible to heat the pond by the heat pump alone. ie when COP figures are continously above 4 or 5

What kind of Summer Temp are you aiming for Sweetie ? growth-wise ?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:50 pm

It would be nice if I can get 22 to 24 deg for 3 months ,thats the plan. I am not that bothered about growth, mainly water quality.The past couple of years I have only managed to get 22 for 1 month and that was at a cost. As I have said before,Here in the North east it costs me more in the summer than the winter. So I will save my pennies for heating in the winter

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:00 pm

DaveB wrote:It would be nice if I can get 22 to 24 deg for 3 months ,thats the plan. I am not that bothered about growth, mainly water quality.The past couple of years I have only managed to get 22 for 1 month and that was at a cost. As I have said before,Here in the North east it costs me more in the summer than the winter. So I will save my pennies for heating in the winter

With Temps rising consistently Dave we might get 24/26C plus this Summer Very Happy

I would love to see 24C in the WLP so that the Tropical Silver Dollars can spend another Summers outside Very Happy

Growth can be enhanced @ 22C simply by feeding a greater percentage rate which is what I did last year ...

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:54 pm

My main aim will be to maintain TDS within 10 ppm of the tap water. At the moment the tap is 70 and pond is 74. My enemy in the past has always been nitrate and G.H. The more I feed the more water changing I have to do which chills the water more. In the past I have found feading excessive amounts especially high growth foods just ends up as high nitrates and organics and around and around we go. If you remember I used to advacate the use of pp to control organics and achieve amazing growth rates with very high feeding. That is a race which I no longer have any involvment. Steady as we go is now my way forward. Just my take on things

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:11 pm

DaveB wrote:My main aim will be to maintain TDS within 10 ppm of the tap water. At the moment the tap is 70 and pond is 74. My enemy in the past has always been nitrate and G.H. The more I feed the more water changing I have to do which chills the water more. In the past I have found feading excessive amounts especially high growth foods just ends up as high nitrates and organics and around and around we go. If you remember I used to advacate the use of pp to control organics and achieve amazing growth rates with very high feeding. That is a race which I no longer have any involvment. Steady as we go is now my way forward. Just my take on things

As long as your `Happy` with your regimen Dave ... that`s all that matters Sweetie Very Happy ....

I`m not against PP clean-up`s personally should a situation benefit from such ... I have never needed to employ that option myself yet though. Very Happy

Last edited by Admin on Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:01 pm

I have still used PP on occation, usually once per month during the summer,when I clean the bottom of my easy screen out. Just as a precaution against nassties getting back to the pond. I now prefer to change water to remove organics rather than pp.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:39 pm

DaveB wrote:I have still used PP on occation, usually once per month during the summer,when I clean the bottom of my easy screen out. Just as a precaution against nassties getting back to the pond. I now prefer to change water to remove organics rather than pp.

Phish Laughing so love fresh water don`t they Dave ....

The 60% water change trickle I overdid the other day Smile had the Koi Babes hovering at it`s source throughout .. It was very amusing indeed ...

So many Keepers say the same thing Very Happy

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:39 am

Yes I think it about the only thing that all koi keepers will agree on. Well almost all.

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Tue May 22, 2012 5:29 pm

Now that the sunny weather has arrived and ambient temps through the day are above 10 degs C. I have increased the heat pump to 12 hours per day 8 am to 8 pm. Anywhere from zero to 6 hours will be free of charge, depending upon output of solar panels. It will now be interesting to see how much I need to run the boiler during the evening to prevent the pond falling too low. ie less than 1 deg driop. Also to see what temps I can achieve througout the summer. Looking forward to it.

Back to top Go down

Post by alank on Wed May 23, 2012 8:18 am

I have my pond up to 20 deg c now with the heat pump. Once 20 deg was achieved, the pump comes on only a few times per day to keep the temp stable.

alank

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveB on Wed May 23, 2012 4:57 pm

My pond reached 20 degs yesterday and it looks like another good day today weatherwise. Sadly I doubt these temps will hold. temps during the night are still dropping to 8 degs. So at these low temps it is probably cheaper to run the gas boiler. However I ran the heat pump for a few hours last night on a timer and this has maintaned temps at 19 degs. C Unfortunaetly I have not got around to fitting a thermostat more accuraqte than 1 degsC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum